Elder Zachary D. Johnson's Mission

Elder Zachary D. Johnson's Mission
Elder Zac Johnson has been called to serve in the Brazil Santos Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and wants you to share in his adventure! "Take the leap with me."

Sunday, January 25, 2015

19 January 2015: My sermon.

Well, the shenanigans continues here in Registro. This week we went all over the place. We had lunches in other cities, went to Santos and came back on the same day, and sweat a lot. And to top it all off, the Sisters were transferred yesterday so we now have 4 missionaries here instead of 6. I think the lunch calendar will be filled in a bit more now :) Only the Sisters were transferred in the mission yesterday but the transfer for the Elders will be next week. I really hope I stay. I want to continue with Elder Ettmuller but I feel like I will be transferred. We will have to see what happens.

So, we went to Santos because the great and powerful Ettmuller has to get glasses! And the only place to do an eye exam here is in Santos. So we got the 6am bus, got there at noon and after the 20 minute visit (yeah, frustrating), we headed back. The return trip was a whole lot faster because we bought direct line tickets so the 6 hour trip was reduced to 4. 

I would like to share an experience that I had yesterday in Sacrament Meeting. I was asked, from the pulpit, to give a talk. Thankfully I already had one prepared and I think it was the best talk I have ever given. It was about the differece between being converted and having a testimony. I never really knew that there was a difference until I heard a talk by David A. Bednar on the subject. He said something that really shook me. "A testimony is not sufficient to make it back to the Celestial Kingdom. When confronted by the powers of the devil, a testimony ALWAYS FALLS." Pretty powerful huh? So, I used Pedro as an example. When he said "Thou art the Christ" that was a testimony and the results of that testimony are shown as he denies that he knows who Christ is. The difference is in conversion! For example Alma 23:6:

And as sure as the Lord liveth, so sure as many as believed, or as many as were brought to the knowledge of the truth [testimony], through the preaching of Ammon and his brethren, according to the spirit of revelation and of prophecy, and the power of God workingmiracles in them—yea, I say unto you, as the Lord liveth, as many of the Lamanites as believed in their preaching [testimony], AND were converted unto the Lord, never did fall away

As you can see, because Ammon was converted, he was able to help the Lamanites to become converted. We cannot take people to where we are not. If we are not converted, we cannot expect to convert others. The same principle applies to everything else. You cannot teach others to be a good dancer if you can't dance. 

The fruits of Peter's conversion are found in the 2nd Chapter of Acts when his first converts are described (Acts 2:37-47). They were a converted people. 

So, my question for you is: Are you converted or do you just have a testimony?
And if you aren't converted the answer to "How can I become converted?" is in Mosiah 3:19. I spent 3 days studying that one verse. There is more in that short verse than meets the eye!

Well, I better close this epistle. Thank you for all that you all have done and for sending a birthday package! You guys are the best!

Austin - Alma 5:32

Lexi - Sounds like your shenanigans never stops! Do you think that you will get a puppy this time??? I am rooting for you! thank you for the email and dont forget that you are the best!

Cam - Alma 5:32

Elder Zac Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment