Elder Zachary D. Johnson's Mission

Elder Zachary D. Johnson's Mission
Elder Zac Johnson has been called to serve in the Brazil Santos Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and wants you to share in his adventure! "Take the leap with me."

Monday, June 16, 2014

World Cup Craziness!

Hey there family,

Stuck in the apartment during the game.
Let me start with the World Cup. It is the coolest thing ever. All that morning, people were shooting fireworks and throwing bombs in the streets. It was craziness! And of course, the weirdos were everywhere! We talked to a man who was drunk out of his mind who told us that he was a member of the church since Joseph Smith and that he was in the States when he died. Lunatics. But when the game started we were in our house watching a movie and all of a sudden this huge roar from outside came! Our house was shaking! Literally the entire city was yelling. I have never experienced anything like that. It happened 4 more times (3 goals and one for the victory). Fireworks, guns, flags, bombs, glass bottles, super annoying horn things, just pure noise! The streets were literally dead during the game. No cars, no people, no buses. Just silence. And then GOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! I will try to catch it on film tomorrow! It was super cool!  With the craziness of the world cup, you dont need to worry. there are no gunshots in my part of the city. I am in the "centro" so it is pretty safe as far as gun violence goes. The area of the sisters though... is a different story. 

So as far as the work goes, Luiz is progressing very well. He has no problems with the Law of Chastity or the Word of Wisdom and has kept every single commitment. We are just waiting on an answer! He is slated to be baptized this saturday (depending on the answer)! He is the most polite person I have ever met. He came to church yesterday and gave answers in the classes that were blowing members away! I am super excited for him. We'll see what happens this week :)

But we did receive some bad news from our Bishop. He told us that he has no goals for baptisms or number of people at church. His focus in on the youth, which is already crazy strong and stable. He could care less about missionary work. It is a set back and was pretty disheartening. But the Elder's Quorom president is a stud and is helping us out a ton. Literally we work with the Elders quorum a ton and they are the best. 

Can't stop our Brazilian pride!
Austin - Why are you so smart? You get good grades, then have to watch your money evaporate because of stupidity! Congrats :) But seriously, take Dad's challenge and read the BoM. Mark up your scriptures. I am rereading Helaman in Portuguese (I sped through it in english and didnt really get much out of it) and now it is my favorite book in the BoM! Helamã 5 is my favorite chapter. You will thank us later :)

Cam - email

Lexi - How did all your tests go? Did you cry on your last day? I remember you doing that last year ;) I hope you did well and are excited for the 5th grade! You are the top of your school now! Utah will be super fun and you will have to give Grandma a big hug and kiss for me. She has sent me letters here in Brazil and they are awesome!

Dad - I was going to write happy fathers day in Portuguese but I said it out loud and my companion just asked if America has a holiday for bread...(the plural of dad is very similar to the plural of bread...#accentproblems).



Boa semana pra cada um de vocês!

Com muito amor,
elder johnson 

No comments:

Post a Comment